Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Home Forums Ireland ‘Dutch Billys’ Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Anonymous
Inactive

@Devin wrote:

. . . . If some truth about the gabled elevation did filter onto that billhead, perhaps it was just single gabled with a large central feature / pediment?

The Barlett representation also raises the spectre that, of the extant double-perpendicular-laid-roof houses on standard plots that were originally gabled were those small double roofs simply fronted by a single gable, as would seem more realistic to the scale of the house?

I think Devin is coming round . . . . he’s just coming round at his own pace 🙂

The only example of a twin roofed house terminating in a single large gable – that I can think of – is that ship-wright’s house in Deptford, London, posted on this thread last year. I’ve read the English Heritage report on that structure and I certainly wouldn’t like to be using that little bag of puzzles as the explanation for an entire Dublin house typology.

As depicted on that 19th century bill-head, no. 32 Usher’s Quay has a superficial similarity with another prominant ‘Billy’ house type, the Large, single pedimented, mansion of which one of the best documented example is probably the Lord Chancellor’s Mansion at no. 24 Chancery Lane.

This RSAI lantern slide of Chancery lane unfortunately post-dates the demolition of the Lord Chancellor’s house, which has been replaced by the brick building with the chalk markings on the wall on the extreme right, but as all the other houses in the photograph closely match the line drawing of the street in Shaw’s Dublin Directory of 1850 [except that the position of the second carved door at no 25 is switched with the window in the photograph] the accuracy of the depiction of the Lord Chancellor’s Mansion [the last house on the right] can probably be relied upon.

I suspect that all of the houses from no. 24 [Lord Chancellor’s] to no. 30 were originally gabled, but Chancery Lane would have been too narrow for altered hipped roofs to have been visible for the draughtsmen to note on Shaw’s street elevation. The fact that the attic storey windows at no. 24 are close together and line up with the fenestration below [unlike the Usher’s Quay house where the attic storey windows were spread apart and we know that the house had twin roof ridges] suggest that this house originally had a single large pediment masking a single roof ridge. I’ve taken the liberty of marking in a possible version of this pediment on the detail below.

@Devin wrote:

Or were double roofs just one of the many alterations made to earlier buildings over time, as there is strong evidence for in some cases?

aghh, . . . . and you were doing so well 😉

Latest News