Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Home Forums Ireland ‘Dutch Billys’ Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Anonymous
Inactive

@Devin wrote:

I’m not sayin anthing else cos now just going round in circles .. same thing

That’s ok, you’re busy and you have other stuff to do, that’s fine.

It’s just that you said:

@Devin wrote:

I could if necessary present a rigorous case showing that twin gables (minature gables) on standard-plot houses were not a stylistic part of the gabled building tradition here . . .

. . . . and then you said:

@Devin wrote:

I don’t have time for writing detailed reports for internet boards at the moment . . . . . about the absence of any real evidence for this building type, the lack of stylistic precedents anywhere, its unlikeliness as a style, the holes in the evidence for the claimed examples etc.

An associate of mine who might be described as ‘a significant heritage figure’ (beware of credentialism) agrees with me on the twin gable issue.

I really don’t think we should leave it hanging like that.

This is what we have on nos. 32, 33, 34 and 35 Molesworth Street:

The Dublin Penny Journal image of nos 32 – 34 Molesworth St. as discussed before, and an aerial view from the late ’70s shortly after no. 33 had lost it’s three front-to-back roof volumes which had originally supported the three pedimented gables in the Penny Journal image. The pair of front-to-back roofs at no. 34 are still there [the house was almost completely demolished in the early 80s] as are a pair of widely spaced top floor windows on this house and, interestingly, also on no. 35 next to it, a house which has an early 19th century re-modelled facade and a pretty clearly re-worked roof profile.

[We’ll come back to no. 32 later.]

Before it was replaced by the current pastiche version, the facade of no. 34 had a slightly unconvincing upper floor window arrangement and some pretty obvious 19th century interventions at ground floor level. The ridges of the twin roofs were just visible above the parapet.

The rear of no. 34 presented a much more convincing fenestration arrangement [middle window on first floor has been blanked out] and I would suggest that this arrangement may have originally been mirrored on the front facade also. In the three-bay Georgian version of the facade, the corners of the outside windows on the top floor were literally cut off by the original roof profile, this cannot have been the original arrangement. As an aside, I’ve no doubt that the person who took these photographs when the house was threatened with demolition in1981 fully realized the significance of the features he was capturing.

@Devin wrote:

Re; Molesworth Street, . . . . if I had choice between gabled streetscape and what we have, I would choose what we have ………….. gabled streetscape too busy for me, la.

I don’t think it’s necessarily considered good building-assessment practice to allow personal preferences to influence what historical evidence we choose to believe.

. . . . said he, giving the pot another stir 😉

Latest News