Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Home Forums Ireland ‘Dutch Billys’ Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

#799546
Anonymous
Inactive

Returning a moment to our Billy friends on Thomas Street, it is helpful to assess the former occupancy of Nos. 20 and 21 through Thom’s Directory to gain an insight into the origins of the current appearance of these altered houses. Although we can only go back to the 1840s – already half way through the life of the buildings – certain points crop up as likely times for alteration. Incredibly, both of these houses have been unoccupied for over 12 years now – since 1997.

No. 20, the larger and later of the two houses, and also in the better condition of the two, has survived an intense series of changes of use quite well.

NUMBER 20

  • 1845 Christopher Glennon, wholesale grocer
  • 1846 – 1848 Maria Green, haberdasher
  • 1849 Vacant
  • 1851 – 1853 Michael Mullen, provision dealer
  • 1854 – 1869 Wm. Brophy, provision dealer
  • 1870 – 1871 James Whelan, corn and flour dealer
  • 1872 – 1914 Thomas Mullen, provision dealer
  • 1915 – 1916 Vacant
  • 1917 – 1923 J. Mulcahy, flour merchant
  • 1924 – 1949 J. J. Halpin, wholesale provision merchant
  • 1950 – 1955 C. Murphy, confectionary
  • 1956 Vacant
  • 1957 – 1966 Ideal Products Ltd, wholesale grocers
  • 1967 – 1968 Vacant
  • 1969 – 1973 P. O’Doherty & Sons, sound engineers, Flat: Leslie Lawlor
  • 1974 Vacant, Flat: Leslie Lawlor
  • 1975 – 1979 Meat Market and Vacant flat
  • 1980 – Vacant
  • 1981 – 1984 Cresta, dry cleaners
  • 1985 The Emmet, dry cleaners
  • 1986 – 1990 Vacant
  • 1991 Super Couriers Ltd, courier services
  • 1992 – 1993 Super Couriers Ltd, courier services, and Presentation Packaging Ltd, packaging
  • 1994 Vacant and Presentation Packaging Ltd, packaging
  • 1995 Vacant
  • 1996 Budget Accommodation
  • 1997 – 2009 Vacant

It appears the house got its cement render coating and aluminium windows, along with the removal of its chimneystack, in the vacant period of 1967-1968. After this time, both a shop tenant and upstairs flat emerge, suggesting a major overhaul. The multiple tenancy of the 19th and 20th centuries make it impossible to pinpoint a date for the likely removal of the gable storey.

Number 21 has had much fewer changes of use, It is remarkable how many years one family – possibly a father, passing the business on to his son and wife – stayed in the premises, spanning two centuries, followed in turn by another extremely long tenancy in the 20th century. In this house’s case, it seems extremely likely that the complete rebuilding of the front wall with aluminium windows occured after the second break in lengthy tenancy, c. 1977. One wonders if the gable survived up until that point; it seems unlikely. It could have vanished as far back as the vacant period of the 1840s.

NUMBER 21

  • 1845 Peter Martin, victualler
  • 1846 – 1848 Vacant
  • 1849 – 1885 Thomas Graham, provision dealer
  • 1885 – 1916 Miss Graham, provision dealer
  • 1917 Vacant
  • 1918 – 1977 M. Connor, greengrocer
  • 1978 – 1979 M. Reynolds, fish and poultry
  • 1980 – 1984 Paul’s, gifts
  • 1985 Spendwell, ladies wear w’sale and Cut Off Ltd, ladies wear w’sale
  • 1986 – 1991 Vacant
  • 1992 Cane Furniture, furniture
  • 1993 – 1995 Vacant
  • 1996 Budget Accommodation
  • 1997 – 2009 Vacant

Latest News