Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Home Forums Ireland ‘Dutch Billys’ Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Anonymous
Inactive

@gunter wrote:

To me, this short selection of prints and photographs is enough to show us that twin-Billys were a prominent and an important type in the range of gabled houses being built in the heyday of the Dutch Billy movement. To me, it’s not a huge leap of faith to imagine comparable twin gables on any house of the period that has a Billy plan and a roof structure (even if altered) that corresponds to the roof structures of these known (or strongly suspected) twin Billys.

Sorry I couldn’t reply re til now.
Ok, but you know what I’m going to say ………. that elusive two-bay, one-gable-per-bay example …..

@gunter wrote:

From a design point of view, a two bay facade topped by twin gables would make perfect sense!

Well, I’ve said it already but ….. too small to be of any consequence, and they don’t appear in any old prints or photos (and I’m talking about two-bay buildings here and not close-coupled gables on a larger house).

@gunter wrote:

The floor plans [of 32 Thomas Street] scream out ‘Billy’, or do you not agree with that?

No. The roof just seems to be ‘left’ on top of the four-floor building, rather than integrated into the top floor, as they always were (and as you have illustrated in your examples). Am pretty sure it’s some form of later Georgian roof.

Some more of those small, one-per-bay perpendicular spans here on Nassau Street, below. Can these be read as a former set of gables fronting Nassau Street? I wouldn’t think so. Afaic they’re just one of the many roof arrangements came to in the Georgian period in response to site, party wall division, water draining etc.

BTW I agree that Dutch Billy was a good streetscape, and arguably renders planned Georgian ‘wall architecture’ dull. But my favourite of all was ‘organic Georgian’ – eg. what can still be seen on Lower Ormond Quay.

Latest News