Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Home Forums Ireland ‘Dutch Billys’ Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Anonymous
Inactive

@Morlan wrote:

I know I shouldn’t be surprised but.. holy fucking shit 😮

Thanks Morlan – also apt here.

What in the name of all that is sane is this supposed to be? 80s Miami beach meets a breakfront cabinet? I’m increasingly immune to acts of barbarisim, but this case leaves me dumbfounded.

Notwithstanding gunter’s excellent analysis, very simply this development does not have planning permission. Permission, as recorded on DCC’s planning search at least, was given for the reinstatement of a double-gabled roofline with pedimented tops, informed by the precedents of 30 Jervis Street and the Mill Street house. What has been built in no way conforms to this, or remotely accords with any Dublin precedent, makes an absolute farce of Protected Structure status, and fundamentally looks ridiculous. The pointing was also not carried out as granted.

Furthermore, the late-18th century style windows are completely unwarranted – ironically conforming to the very period layer of adaption which has just been decimated. The gobsmackingly haphazard pattern of glazing bars make these without question the worst reproduction windows I have ever encountered in a flagship restoration project in Dublin, and similarly accord with no known precedent. As for the lunettes, the mind boggles.

This case exemplifies the very worst aspect of our backwards-led planning system, where little action can be taken until it’s too late, and where little or no input is gained from the right people to do the right job at the right time. What an absolute disaster. Short of replacing the doorcase, this case could not get any worse. Remedial action will have to be taken.

gunter, on the issue of the building up of the parapet in place of the gables, how is it do you think, that there was no shadowing of replacement brick in the central valley? I get the impression from the wider view of the façade that the entire attic storey was refaced at that time, although that doesn’t quite explain the 19th century brick to the ends.

Latest News