Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Home Forums Ireland ‘Dutch Billys’ Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Anonymous
Inactive

@CologneMike wrote:

. . a 1950 photo of the Locke Bar (Curtin’s Pub) . . . shows that the right hand house (with the flat parapet) was in fact the site of the bar. Interestingly enough it had been fully intact up until then. To the left next door, all that remains of the classical Billy was just the ground floor wall.

CM, I think we’re getting mixed up here, surely your ’50s photo does show the current ‘Locke Bar’, but, at that stage it’s front gable was gone completely and it had been given a flat parapet and hipped roof treatment to match the right hand house, on the other side of the laneway (out of shot). The two storey brick house beyond the single storey wall seems to match the house in the current view and there’s no other way to explain the surviving three storey stone elevation of ‘The Locke Bar’ premises to the laneway. Some time after the 1950s picture was taken the building must have lost it’s whole top storey, but below that, the fabric is probably substantially intact.

On the little half round, attic storey, window feature we were discussing earlier, this seems to be quite a common motif in the more provincial branches of the mainstream European gabled tradition. I spotted this little cluster of examples in Travemunde, which is the outer harbour of Lubeck on the Baltic.

I think these German houses date from about the same time as the Limerick and Dublin examples, i.e. the first half of the 18th century, but they’re in a block that also contains some 16th century half timbered houses, as well as some clearly 19th century and more recent structures.

As cute as these German houses are, there not as cute at that pair of Dutch gables on the back of the John’s Square house! Does your aerial shot indicate that these little gables are still there?

Latest News