Re: Re: Dublin skyline

Home Forums Ireland Dublin skyline Re: Re: Dublin skyline

Anonymous
Inactive

@Devin wrote:

Indeed. They haven’t been sold to the public yet. And this is a major obstacle to be gotten over if you’re to get anything higher than three storeys built in residential areas!

I would suggest that they have been sold to some elements of the public (I cannot hazard a gues in terms of the percentage). Some elements of the public have not yet bought the idea, but it is a generalisation to suggest that the ‘have not been sold to the public yet’.

People in Ireland have had a bad experience with high-rises partly due to the flats in Ballymun and other hilarious examples such as Rahoon in Galway (all four storeys of them – yes – they were called high-rise on a few occasions 😀 ). Ok – – then time to get over that. What I think would be useful for this debate is to stop talking about high-rises in general and to define what we mean when we talk about high rises for the docklands. Are we talking about residential or office space? (the latter usual being more ‘landmark’ in nature and more aesthetic in comparison). Personally, I would love to see three or four landmark office space high-rises in the Docklands. Why? To my mind they would be as important in shaping the identity of modern post-colonial Dublin as Georgian and neo-classical buildings have been in shaping its earlier identity. They would help attract international company headquarters and could generate employment as a result. They would define the rebirth of a long decaying part of the city. They could prove extremely attractive aesthetically (high rise does not always have to equal ugliness). I could go on, but I have said much of this before.

What I laugh at about this debate is that the debate is even happening at all. It is classic Ireland. Other countries have gotten over this relatively minor issue and have gone on to produce some fantastic and occasionally experimental high-rise buildings. What do we do – sit around mulling over it and showing that we are still not capable of making a mature national decision. Does this debate remind you of the debates over contraception, abortion, recycling, transport infrastructure etc? – all issues that many other EU countries simply dealt with and moved on. Jesus, bring back the Brits for ten years and we might actually stop talking and do something constructive.

Latest News