Re: Re: Dublin skyline

Home Forums Ireland Dublin skyline Re: Re: Dublin skyline

GrahamH
Participant

I had a good look at this quay the other day from the Matt Talbot and really and truly it is the most horrendous, mediocre, incoherent pile of rubbish in Dublin city centre. You tend to aviod looking at it at the best of times, so it was quite an effort to observe it for more than a few seconds!

With the exception of the Corn Exchange. the Georgians next to O’Connell Bridge House and the Dutch-style Victorian on the corner, I’d like to see all of Burgh Quay completely flattened, including Poolbeg St as far back as Pearse St.
This entire city block is filled with the greatest collection of rubbish that it is nothing short of an architectural landfill.
Likewise George’s Quay out to be levelled.

Not that any of this is remotely possible to achieve, but it would be great to be able to redefine the centre of Dublin with some decent architecture lining this important stretch of the Liffey – linking the old city with the new city as it does.
It is difficult alright on density grounds to knock a tall building and replace it with a lower one, but I think that Hawkins ought not be rebuilt to that height – rather a six-storey structure ought to go back in here to restore the height of this area and reflect that of the inner city at large.

It is not pleasant to see tall buildings rising out from behind the traditional height of Burgh Quay – it is this more than anything that causes the present mess I think, whatever about the design of the crap that’s there like Hawkins or the Irish Press.

Burgh and George’s Quays are a disaster at present with all the rubbish that’s there, the mixture of ‘styles’, the gaping wound of the Loop Line smashing through the terrace, the Loop Line bridge itself cutting the view of the old city off from the IFSC & Docklands, and of course the dross that is the Ulster Bank flanking the Liffey – definitely a contender for the Ugliest title on the other thread.

Latest News