Re: Re: Dublin 1660-1860

Home Forums Ireland Dublin 1660-1860 Re: Re: Dublin 1660-1860

gunter
Participant

Buying this book brings back a lot of memories for me.

My copy of Dublin 1660 – 1680 is the 1969 re-print published by Allen Figgis Ltd., now held together with much cellotape, and I’m pretty certain that it was the first book that I ever bought . . . . must have been in the early to mid ‘70s.

I remember having walking around it several times in the Hodges Figgis bookshop on Stephen’s Green and giving it a good thumbing, before deciding that it would be well worth the 80p price tag the next time I came into funds.

I remember that the opportunity to get back into town and buy it came around with the next, always welcome, bunk-off-school eye appointment at the Eye and Ear. I can distinctly remember the consternation when this particular appointment turned out to be one of those rare occasions when the Eye and Ear felt the need not just to shine their little pencil light around the place, but actually load me up with freaky eye drops which made vision impossibly blurry.

I remember doing a passable impression of Mr. Magoo afterwords in trying to get across town from Hatch Street to Stephen’s Green and I remember feeling my way around the bookshop and picking out Dublin 1660 – 1860 with considerable difficulty.

I remember lying on my bed later and waiting with great impatience for the drops to wear off so I could finally start reading my new purchase and I remember hoping to Christ that I hadn’t just bought Wuthering Heights.

Rest in peace Maurice Craig and thank you for many many contented hours reading and re-reading.

Latest News