Re: Re: Developments in Cork
There is a boardwalk planned between the Nano Nagle bridge and the first building to the east of it, similar to the one outside the Clarion. It may be that once the boardwalk is in place, the concrete beam will not be visible.
I’m afraid I’m very pessimistic about how this boardwalk is going to work out. I used to live on the other side of the river and crossed the Nano Nagle bridge every day on the way to work. That was one of the few areas in the city where the quayside wall was intact and the original railings were present and in good condition.
– They installed a large PVC pipe along the quay wall, including a riser which is well up over even high tide.
– The stone wall began collapsing behind the pipe (I don’t know if this was due to the installation of the pipe).
– They’ve knocked the original railings.
– They’ve cemented over much of the stone work.
– They’ve plonked a concrete beam over the stone steps, burying them away from public access.
And now they’re going to build a boardwalk which is likely to obscure what’s left of the stone work.. I don’t really know what the point is in putting a boardwalk that short is, but anyway..
I do admit, the park looks really well, but they are taking the concept of being sensitive to the location/context, and wiping their bums with it and flushing it down the toilet. 🙁