Re: Re: Developments in Cork

Home Forums Ireland Developments in Cork Re: Re: Developments in Cork

Anonymous
Inactive

@dave123 wrote:

Mickey docks rather then been totally defensive, there are pros and cons going for both cities, though Limerick city centre is very impressive now considering it was one of the most run down cities in the country at one time.

Cork maybe a bigger town, doesnt give a whole lot more merit just for the size argument. The City of limerick is fairly large and simalar size of Corks. Thats when you combine Englishtown, Iriishtown, georgian quarter and the Riverfront. Limerick half the size of cork and the metropolitian area of Cork is bigger, so what. We are really talking about the architecture and cities image here. Limerick’s population growth is growing faster than Cork in most of the previous censuses

http://beyond2020.cso.ie/Census/TableViewer/tableView.aspx?ReportId=75467
Dave, according to this Limerick city declined 2.7% and Cork city by 3%, so I’m not sure where you are getting teh ‘growing faster than’ information. The population of County Limerick has seen significant growth of 8.4% but this is well behind the 11% growth in County Cork (main growth area is great Cork). These are figures from the CSO, but maybe you’ll argue that there was a rugby game on that day (of course Munster fans only come from Limerick).

The two cities are incomparable size wise and population wise. Cork plus suburbs is approximately 200k, Limerick plus suburbs 90k. Greater Cork is over 300k, Greater Limerick 125k. This may not be three times the population, but not too far away from three times.

The interpretation of aesthetics is subjective. Limerick doesn’t have an equivalent of the South Mall or Grand Parade, and Patrick Street is what O’Connell Street would like to be.

However before descending any further into tribalism shall I just point out that my family are originally from Adare in Co. Limerick so we have a certain amount of respect for that County…

Latest News