Re: Re: Developments in Cork

Home Forums Ireland Developments in Cork Re: Re: Developments in Cork

Anonymous
Inactive

@mickeydocs wrote:

There must be another Limerick other than the one on the Shannon does not in any way look more like a city than Cork.

Paris conforms to a snail rather than a grid, does this mean it is also less of a city than Limerick?

Well just because being built on a grid pattern contributes to a sense of being city-like, it doesn’t mean that not being built on a grid pattern implies a place is not city-like. I know Cork people love to harp on about how they can challenge Dublin for supremacy. But, in reality, Cork has one really inelegant main street and a bunch of tiny streets coming off it. And the little stream running through it contributes to the sense of being in a smallish town. It reminds me of some place like Athlone or Tralee. Limerick is built on a very wide river and has wider streets. It may be an illusion, but my impression is of a bigger place. It’s also got a lot more going for it in terms of historical attractions and potential. In short, Limerick is by any standards infinitely superior to Cork and the real second city of Ireland.

Latest News