Re: Re: Developments in Cork

Home Forums Ireland Developments in Cork Re: Re: Developments in Cork

Radioactiveman
Participant

Browser, I can’t say that I’m eager to see bars and restaurants overflowing onto the new Grand Parade too much. Soho’s intervention near the corner with Washington Street has reduced the space for pedestrain movement. What’s the point in having a footpath if it can’t be used? Something that bugs me greatly is the abuse of restaurant/bar owners of French Church Street and Paul Street. It is getting harder and harder to get through there, weaving your way through smokers.
On the positive side, Oliver Plunkett Street has boomed with pedestrianisation and the sooner Patrick Street, Grand parade are pedestrianised the better. The problem with the Grand Parade works at the moment is the seeming inablity of the contractors to ‘finish off’ bits and pieces. While most of the work is confined to the area around the national monument, there are bollards and sundry rubbish and construction equipment stretching from singers corner southward. It gives the impression that it’s much less finished than it actually is and the place is looking filthy at the moment.
I was on St. Patrick Street on Saturday. Good to see the place being overtaken by the people instead of cars and it being used for the Ceili mor. I have to say though, the amount of vacant retail units is alarming. I won;t list them again, its already been done here. But there seems to be something seriously wrong, even given the units we know are about to be redeveloped. When Cornmarket and Academy Street open, I cant see the situation improving, as more upmarket stores currently squeezed on Patrick Street will move to the shopping centres and leave yet more vacant or under utilised units on the main thoroughfare.

Note:
Coopers bar and the Pav (?) nightclub on Carey’s lane has changed hands and is rumoured to become a live music venue. Coopers Bar has a blank wall on upper storeys facing on to Carey’s Lane across from the (soon to be restored) Hugenot cemetery. It would be nice to see the upper floors here being refurbished with views across the lane to the cemetery.

Latest News