Re: Re: Cork Transport

Home Forums Ireland Cork Transport Re: Re: Cork Transport

bosco
Participant

PTB – echoing my thoughts (pardon the pun!)

As for trams, guided busses, light rail etc… I’ve had a particular gripe I’ve wanted to get off my chest for ages. A few years ago when the first docklands plan became available for download on the city council’s website, I was delighted to see included in it an ambitious but realisable vision for either a light rail or guided bus line. The route shown was running from Mahon, along the old rail line, through the docklands, the city centre, down Western Road, via Victoria cross to Bishopstown and CIT. There were route maps and even a few pictures of trams and a guided bus for good measure.

Now, it seems to me the only major problem in constructing these tram lines or guided bus tracks would be the lack of space available in the city centre and at certain junctions. One of the major junctions along the route is at Victoria Cross, where one would expect a stop to be provided given the number of student apartments in the area. The existing 4 lane road is barely wide enough, in fact it is too narrow to comfortably fit 4 adjacent lanes of traffic when there is a bus or large truck involved. The footpaths are inadequate for the volume of pedestrians (mostly students). Add into the mix a few cars and vans parked on the footpath or side of the road, thanks to that new Centra (awful planning decision in the first place).

Now, where do they propose to squeeze in the light rail lines? Or a guided bus track? Or even a miserly painted bus lane separated from traffic? Meanwhile, a strip of land running alongside this road from the Clinic on Western Road to the Wylam Chinese has come up for redevelopment in some form or another in the past 3 years. While UCC’s IT building is still under construction on the Western Rd, the rest of the land has been blanketed in student apartment developments, all built right out to the edge of the site boundary, leaving no room for widening footpaths or allowing for future needs.

If you live on a boreen in the middle of the country and you wish to alter the entrance to your house or the boundary in any way, there are rules that oblige you to bring the new boundary back a certain distance from the road. Why on earth does the same not apply in the city? Especially at one of the busiest junctions where traffic can be disastrous at rush hour. Where they supposedly plan to provide a public transport corridor in the future? Where the footpaths are completely inadequate for the volumes of pedestrians using them every day?

I just can’t believe there was no way to force the developers to allow even a 5 meter gap between any development and the existing boundary, so that the land could be utilised in the future to widen the road or provide a separated rail/bus track.

Anybody have a clue what I’m talking about? 🙂

Latest News