Re: Re: Cork Transport

Home Forums Ireland Cork Transport Re: Re: Cork Transport

jungle
Participant

@corcaighboy wrote:

This is from today’s Examiner and it makes interesting reading for several reasons. Firstly, this E139m investment number is the first I have heard of it. It sounds impressive, but I would love to know what exactly it includes since the only major investment is the reopening of the Glounthaune to Midleton line. Surely the line reopening and ancillary works don’t add up to 139m. I know it includes work on other stations, but as far as I know, the railcars will be cast offs from the Arrow network.
Secondly, what bridge built on stilts are they talking about?

7 stations @ 2 million each (using Monasterevin as a guide and costs have probably gone up since)
4 automated level crossings @ 1 million each
7 reinstated overbridges and 3 reinstated underbridges (hard to cost, but 7 figures for structural work on each)
2 new overbridges
10km of line @ a 7 figures sum per km
Resignalling of the entire Cobh line because of the reinstatement of Cobh Junction
CPOs
General Landscaping Work

All these things start to add up to a tasty enough sum eventually.

As for the bridge…

There are some houses across the railway line from the Lower Glanmire Road. Currently, these are accessed by a number of level-crossings. This isn’t ideal from a safety perspective (Irish Rail are currently trying to reduce the number around the country anyway) and, as the frequency of trains on the line increases, will become more and more impractical. The proposal is to build a bridge across the line and an access road on the other side of the line for people who live in the houses. The location is roughly opposite The Marina Power Station.

An image of the proposed bridge can be seen here

http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/projects/RailwayOrderDocumentsCD/04_GMR_EIS/Volume_4_Appendices/Appendix_G_Landscape_and_Visual/Glanmire.pdf

In fact, if you’re interested in the project, browsing through the railway order documentation ( http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/projects/railway_order_documents.asp ) is a worthwhile exercise.

Latest News