Re: Re: Cork Transport

Home Forums Ireland Cork Transport Re: Re: Cork Transport

jungle
Participant

@a boyle wrote:

correct me if i am wrong , but i think the plan is to turn the old terminal into office and sundry.

I would guess they will keep the two open side by side , for some time in order to tease out the enevitable problems with the new building.

Indeed, that is the current plan. Although the part of the old terminal that handled inbound baggage may be knocked to allow one of the stands to accommodate wider aircraft.

I think I’ve posted this before, but for anyone who didn’t see it…

When the new terminal was built, they avoided having to do a full environmental impact assessment because the old one was closing. If the old one were to reopen, it would be required. That would delay any plan to reopen the old one although not necessarily scupper it.

I still maintain that Ryanair don’t run terminals and won’t take the terminal over. If it did reopen, it would be marketed as a Low Cost terminal for all LoCos operating into Cork.

I don’t think it’s a priority for Cork Airport anyway. The new terminal will suffice for a number of years and the planned extension to that one is more likely. I’d put future expansion of passenger capacity quite a long way down the list of needed enchancements after

• More stands for aircraft (Critical and it’s irrelevant to talk about expansion of passenger facilities until it’s done)
  • Moving the cargo facilities from their current location
  • Building a parallel taxiway (Without it, the airport can handle around 16 flights/8 turnarounds per hour (assuming a mix of inbound and outbound) only. This is already being pushed on summer weekends.
  • A lengthened runway (Some destinations – Cyprus – already require aircraft to stop if the winds are blowing the wrong direction. Longer flights – Egypt – are planned and East Coast of the US is likely. Contrary to popular belief, the terrain will easily accommodate a 300m extension)

Prectically, the third and fourth on the list should be done at the same time.

@mickeydocs wrote:

It would be great to see Ryanair use it as a low cost hub. Would such a strategy be unique or does anyone know of an airport operating such a policy?

I know of nowhere where a Low Cost airline operates a terminal. However, there are some airport (e.g. Marseilles, Geneva) where the airport operator maintains a separate terminal for Low Cost operators.

Latest News