Re: Re: Brother Michael Augustine O’Riordan
The Church of St. Finbarr and the Holy Angels, Inchigeela, Co. Cork (1842)
The church has lost its serliana and two of its pictures. It still retains all three altars but these may not be the originals. It still retains a fine central crucifixion which is a copy of a prototype by Guido Reni over which bands proclaim the trishagion, curiously for this art of the world, in demotic English rather than Irish, in substitution for the Latin inscription that probably once adorned the pediment of the serliana.
The interior has had a series of arches inserted into it which completely obscure the effect of its monocameral construction. A similar treatment was afforded in the 1940s to St. Finbarr’s in Bantry.
Inchigeela, like Ballintaotis, near Midleton, and Leap, is still a classical structure but it has incorporated gothic pointing to the windows.