Re: Re: Brother Michael Augustine O’Riordan
By way of contrast, here is a picture of the High Altar of St. Francis Xavier’s in Gardnier St. Dublin indicating another approach to the neo-classical revival. It was designed by, and built in Rome for, Fr. Bartholomew Esmonde, sj, and incorporates a large number of antique marbles taken from the Domus Aurea of Nero and from marble salvaged from the burning of the Basilica of St. Paul’s Outside the Walls. It was shipped to Dublin in 1842.