Re: Re: Brother Michael Augustine O’Riordan

Home Forums Ireland Brother Michael Augustine O’Riordan Re: Re: Brother Michael Augustine O’Riordan

#783341
Anonymous
Inactive

Gunter, this is brilliant!

The Chapel, as it is, was refurbished by Sir Christopher Wrenn after 1660 for Queen Catherine, Charles II consort. The chapel was buit for Catholic worship by Inigo Jones as part of the marriage contract of Queen Marie Henriette (de France). It continued as a place of Catholic worship until the death of Queen Catherine c. 1720 – although she had long returned to Portugal her establishment (Somerset House) continued.

Note the two doors at either side of the sancturay – whicha re prescribed for the ceremonies of High Mass. The ministers come by the door on the left and leave by the door on the right – thereby completing an anti-clockwise circle, symbol of purification since Roman times.

Also, what appears to be a gellery behind the Altar, which, if so, is a direct reference to Palladio’s arrangement of the Chapel of the Ospadelatto in Venice. Indeed, this arrangement by Palladio is the direct source for all of these sanctuary and altar arrangements.

The similarities with old St Finnbarr’s in Cork is not an accident. It was rebuilt early in the 18th. century following the bombardment of the city during the Williamite seige. The “Italian” style made its appearence in Cork c. 1710 with the building of the New Exchange Building and with the rebuilding of several churches replaced or rebuilt in the first half of the 18th century. Many of these were again replaced in Gothic idiom in the 19th century. But, St Mary’s Shandon which dates form c. 1730s still has its Palladian form and its tower, up to recently, had its classical urns at all atsges until they were taken down recently adn replaced on only two of the stages in common concrete.

By retrosacristy, we mean that because, among other things, of the double door requirement in the sanctuary, the sacristy is built on to the east wall and is to be found immediately behind the altar. In Gothic churches, the sacrist is located to the north or south side of the sanctuary. In some early perpendiicular neo-Gothic churches of the 1820s and 1830 (and in some cases later) the classical retroscaristy incongruently survived, or else, two sacristies were built at either side of the sanctuary.

Latest News