Re: Re: Brother Michael Augustine O’Riordan
It is interesting to compare and contrast the altar arrangement in Kinsale with in Cloyne. Clearly, the Cloyne Altar arrangement is wider than that in Kinsale and incorporates the sacristy doors into the serliana while leaving both side altars outside of the serliana and flanking it. In both cases, however, the bediments of the side altars are practically identical. In the case of Kinsale pictures were hung above the side altars (which have disappeared) while in Cloyne arched recesses have been supplied for statues above both side altars. Again, both side altars have been fitted with tabernacles in a classical idiom closely resembling that in the church of St. Barrahane in Castlehaven, Co. Cork, which was originally located in the Pro-Cathedral of St. Patrick in Skibbereen, built in 1826. Most fortunately, the side altars in Cloyne surnd the appear to be original, in wcse they are the only remaining pair still in situ. In Kinsale, the sacristy door is not the sanctuary but in the left transcept.
The Kinsale Cruscifixion picture is clearly of Italianate inspiration, probably of the Roman/Bolognese school of Guido Reni, as is the altar piece in the chapel of the Ursuline Convent in Blackrock, Co. Cork..