Re: Re: Architects Qualification

Home Forums Ireland Architects Qualification Re: Re: Architects Qualification


First, you need to find out what works require planning permission and what works don’t. This can be done two ways-
a) Ask your local authority for a Section 57 Declaration, which specifies what works to a Protected Structure would affect the character of the PS- works that do affect the character require an application for PP, works that don’t usually don’t require PP and are considered exempted development; OR
b) Ask your LA for a Section 5 Declaration, which states whether or not works are exempted development, i.e. whether they require PP.
S.57 is PS-specific; S.5 is general for all types of development.

Alternatively, you could apply for PP anyway and let the LA decide at that stage whether or not the works require it.

Whatever you do, don’t just start the works on the basis that you think they’ll be exempt. Many works that don’t require PP for a non-Protected Structure DO require PP when done to a PS, and many LAs are becoming more vigilant on this sort of thing.

Re your queries:
It’s not essential to employ an architect with conservation experience, but it would be a good idea in the long run, I feel- knowledge of materials, processes, etc.
Surveyors- can’t help, I’m afraid. A good conservation architect should be able to suggest some.

Latest News