Reply To: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
Home › Forums › Ireland › reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches › Reply To: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
Well, here is the answer:
Christies South Kensington, 18 March 2014, Auction no. 5233, lot 96A
AN IRISH GOTHIC REVIVAL WHITE MARBLE PANEL
Carved on both sides, in the form of two connecting scrolls, pierced and carved with trefoil decoration with conforming trefoil finials, losses
19 in. (49 cm.) high; 28 in. (71 cm.) wide
St. Patrick’s, the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Armagh, Northern Ireland was designed by two architects as work was suspended part way through in 1844 due to the Potato Famine. The bottom half was designed in 1838, in the English Perpendicular Gothic style, by Thomas Duff of Newry; the top half designed in 1853, in the French Decorated Gothic style, by J. J. McCarthy of Dublin. It was dedicated in 1873.
The rood screen from which this section of panelling is thought to originate was destroyed when the cathedral was remodelled in 1980 along with the High Altar designed by the Italian sculptor Cesare Aureli (1844-1923).
It made £375