Reply To: Roads

Home Forums Ireland Roads Reply To: Roads

Sean Carney
Participant

FIN, in reply to your comment on the Loughrea bypass, I have been thinking just the same thing for quite a while and I totally agree with you, but I have come to my own conclusion as to why it is being built.
First of all the proposed dual carraigeway/motorway can only be built once the proposed Galway City outer bypass is completed as the new motorway will not join onto the Oranmore dual carraigeway, it will be attached to the outer bypass futher north of the city.
Secondly the motorway is being built from Dublin outwords thus they are just reaching Kinnegad. They will then build from Kinnegad to Athlone, Athlone to Ballinsloe and then Ballinasloe to Galway City.
As it takes a ridiculous 4 years to build a stretch of motorway, (which could be build in half the time if they pulled there finger out), the time it reaches Galway could be 10 years from now!
So in one way it makes sense for the Loughrea bypass to be built as the motorway is a long way from being finished.
Also to be realistic if it was to be done properly the Galway City to Tuam dual carraigeway, (proposed), would also have to be built as it also will join onto the Galway city outer bypass.
It would of made more sense to have put the money towards the City outer bypass but eh people in authority seem to have to be thick to get the job in the first place.
Also to me, this just again shows the utter contempt so called Irish governments have towards the West of Ireland, Galway, Roscommon and Mayo definately.
When is the last time you heard of a national road being built in Galway County/City?, it is one of the fastest growing cities in Europe, strange mmmm.
Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Dublin, Sligo etc all have bypasses, or are constructing bypasses but one is only just proposed for Galway City.
Also dual carraigeways are proposed for Tuam, (bypass), Tuam to Galway City and Galway City to Gort but they have never been built and don,t look like there going to be built for a long, long time.
I could be totally wrong about this but from studying this is the conclusion I personnaly have come up with.
I have either added 1 and 1 and come up with two or added one and one and come up with seven, we will have to wait and see, a long wait I think 🙂

Latest News