Reply To: Down With An Taisce!!!

Home Forums Ireland Down With An Taisce!!! Reply To: Down With An Taisce!!!

lexington
Participant

First of all, I wish to stress that I am in no way making a personal attack on Diaspora – I would not sink to such levels of personal attack. I believe in the right to individual opinion and believe each is of equal value no more so than my own. This includes the opinions of An Taisce – however, my attack is on that of the organisation, that by way of opinion, has delayed and indeed influenced the negative decision of some planning applications that has led to the loss of jobs, investment, infastructure and public amenity in a manner that is not a proactive campaign for a positive outcome, but a destructive campaign leading to a negative outcome. It is an apparent maliciousness evident in their objections that seemingly affects all projects proposed. IF such objections were lodged on genuine forward-looking conservationist grounds – they would then be lodged with developments that clearly violate an environment or structure of such grounds. But these are few. And I support them (aka Grangefield Developments proposal with relation to the Georgian Arbutus Lodge Hotel – a campaign I actively engaged in before An Taisce and posted my feelings on these forums – at how a beautiful specimen of architecture was been destroyed in the face of ‘shiny and new’ Diaspora claims I advocate. If he cared to read any of my posts on the matter, as well as my posts relating to Watergold House in Douglas, he would clearly know, I’m a strong advocate for conservation and post-modern styles.).

However, not every project proposed, some of which (in response to a post by vinnyfitz) I have both personal and financial interests in, are in violation of the ideals An Taisce claims to represent. Some of these projects have gone to enormous trouble (financial and time) to make sure of this – financing excavations, restorations, conservation exercises, landscaping etc etc. Yet An Taisce, has objected to some of these projects on fecious grounds (e.g. ‘a classic example of 18th Century dockland warehousing’ – Water Street. This classic example would be fine had it not be so poorly cared for and is now in a vile state of disrepair. Another famous example of their objection was of an 19th century terraced house in Passage West that at great expense was be shelled to avoid debris injuring the pedestrian public. A case An Taisce brought to An Bord Pleanala – delaying the fact that the house was a public health risk). Is this responisbility??? Even the local press campaigned and condemned against An Taisce irresponsible actions.

The following are a list of just SOME of the recent major developments in the Cork city area – proof of the unfair and irresponsibly destructive number of objections forwarded by An Taisce. If you consider the location, nature and design of these projects, it makes the objections more non-sensical. If this is insufficient, I will provide more lists.

1. TP:0428202 – John Mannix, Washington St.
ELAINE NI MUILLEOIR AN TAISCE CORCAIGH, 23/04/2004 26/04/2004
KEVIN HURLEY AN TAISCE CORCAIGH, 23/04/2004 23/04/2004

2. TP:04/28448 – Werdna, Water Street
ELAINE NI MUILLEOIR AN TAISCE CORCAIGH, 30/06/2004 01/07/2004

3. TP:04/27987 – Rockfell Investments Ltd, Cornmarket St
MR KEVIN HURLEY AN TAISCE CORCAIGH 11/02/2004 12/02/2004

4. TP:02/25914 – Thomas Crosbie Holdings, Lavitts Quay
AN TAISCE KEVIN HURLEY AN TAISCE CORCAIGH 03/05/2002 09/05/2002

5. TP:0226661- Hilltrent Ltd (O’Callaghan Properties)Lavitts Quay
AN TAISCE THE NATIONAL TRUST OF IRELAND 10/08/2001 21/08/2001

6. TP:0327769 – OSB Developments, Knapps Quay
MR IAN LUMLEY AN TAISCE CORCAIGH 26/02/2004 02/03/2004
MR. IAN LUMELY AN TAISCE, 28/11/2003 04/12/2003

7. TP:0125222 – CIT (Cork School of Music), Union Quay
KEVIN HURLEY AN TAISCE CORCAIGH 27/06/2001 03/07/2001

8. TP: 0327204 – Frinailla Ltd, Grand Parade
MS. LUCY DAWE LANE AN TAISCE CORCAIGH, 11/06/2003 11/06/2003

9. TP:0327674 – Kenny Group, South Main Street
MR KEVIN HURLEY AN TAISCE CORCAIGH 03/11/2003 07/11/2003

10. TP:0428159 – Corbett Bros., Parnell Place
ELAINE NI MUILLEOIR AN TAISCE CORCAIGH, 08/04/2004 14/04/2004

11. TP:

…the list goes on! Is this fair objection? Notice how all these developments have been objected to by An Taisce? If they’re objections were satisfied, would that be fair to Cork? A city for quite sometime didnt get the same opportunities as Dublin or Limerick and so on. I resent them deeply for this. Personally and at a public level.

As for public financing, I will attain the appropriate figures as soon as I physically can and make them available to you on this forum.

In addition, I see it a pity, that Diaspora, an individual for whom I would never personally attack, as I often vehemently agree with the points he notably and correctly makes on these forums – would have to assume an element of my character without ever reading my posts adequately enough to pass judgement. I have always advocated conservation in light of development. Our past is a part of who we are, and as remembrents of the past are finite, they must be protected. ‘Shiny and bright’ as it is claimed I so blindly advocate are not always the way to go, yet even from the minute information I provide here, it is proof of the destructive nature of An Taisce in Cork especially. I will provide further information (like a planning application) if requested.

Latest News