Reply To: Irelands Ten Worst Roundabouts

Home Forums Ireland Irelands Ten Worst Roundabouts Reply To: Irelands Ten Worst Roundabouts

garethace
Participant

The Germans on the BBC program last night were building construction super heros – I think they could cope with lots and lots of big problems.

I believe a lot of the techniques they use for building these houses, owe much to the tools and techniques used by stage designers to set up and move large props.

As to the factory end of it, as the reporter said – where are the page 3 pin ups from the Sun newspaper – if BMW were to build houses, that is how they would build them.

Gotham Gazette (love that name) mentions some of these ideas too:

City dwellers “listening to President George W. Bush’s 2004 State of the Union Address on primetime last week may have felt overlooked. The president never once uttered the words ‘urban’ or ‘city’ or ‘New York,’ though he did say ‘Bulgaria’ and ‘Bali.’.. Today, there is no real urban policy agenda in Washington… [rather] there is a history of deep anti-urban sentiment in America… Cities continue to be seen as places of poverty, corruption, crime, and immorality. And immigrants, who traditionally first settle in urban areas, have often been viewed with suspicion.”

A large part of our view of cities in all parts of the world, both rich and poor, has been coloured by the Bush administration I think. We need to get back to a solid urban ajenda and less of a ‘political one’. The NYC competition etc, maybe has been used to keep urban design politicised for longer than it should.

Today, there is no real urban policy agenda in Washington.

“There is no leader in the executive branch [for urban issues] and there are no committees in Congress that make it a priority,” said David Rapp, editor of Congressional Quarterly, a publication with 100 reporters covering Congress. “We don’t even have a reporter assigned to cover urban affairs.”

See my point about Irish people and reporting?

Latest News