Reply To: Irelands Ten Worst Roundabouts

Home Forums Ireland Irelands Ten Worst Roundabouts Reply To: Irelands Ten Worst Roundabouts

garethace
Participant

But what really baffles me is not that corners were cut but that in subsequent years developments such as Quarryvale were sited literally on top of these important national infrastructure nodes.

I think this extract from the article at Fortune, presents us with a picture of Quarryvale etc, you may or may not like.

Meanwhile, the mass entrance of married women into the workforce in the 1970s and 1980s meant that more Americans had to get to work than ever before. The jobs to which they commuted were increasingly not in old downtowns but in new office centers built next to Interstate exits. And the houses they went home to at the end of the day were in increasingly auto-centric developments located ever farther away from center cities.

That is definitely what has screwed Ireland up so badily – high house prices, multi-car families all working, driving to school, shopping etc. Shopping centres have also become car-centric entertainment venues at nightime too.

Had to add this one:

Then there’s mass transit. Since the 1970s, new subway and streetcar networks have been built in cities across the country—Houston is the latest. But after 50 years of building houses and offices to be convenient for cars, these new systems are of only limited use.

I guess it goes back to Sim City, and all of these great old AI strategy games! 🙂

Latest News