Reply To: an taisce-and rumours of them going bust

Home Forums Ireland an taisce-and rumours of them going bust Reply To: an taisce-and rumours of them going bust

Anonymous
Participant

Sue I wish it were it Ruse,

But it was acknowledged by Noel Dempsey that given the quantum of development that now exists it would be impossible for an NGO to fulfill it’s statutory observer status without government support.

I completely disagree that it is a PR stunt, and comparisons with the One in Four organisation are not appropriate given the disparity in their mandated functions. Re Bono, a model developer through his involvement in the Clarence Hotel

Regarding adopting a prudent stance, I think it would be prudent for the government to acknowledge that the professionals in An Taisce deliver much better value for money than government departments. There was no benchmarking at An Taisce.

You are correct to be worried that the money might be found for An Taisce, because equally it may not be found.

To ease your mind on the accounts they are audited by PWC, which they do at a substantial discount to the organisation.

Fin raised the point that An Taisce are hated in particular areas of rural Ireland. The organisation was accused by Johny Bradey TD from Meath of being an extension of the British establishment, ‘getting at the Irish State’

I took particular pleasure in sending a year book to a relative who has lived on Aran Mor for many years. Much of my family comes from Galway, we can trace our family there back to the 1580’s. And no there is no grand house there never was, but I am very proud of my heritage.

Regarding one off development which is the issue that has damaged the organisation more than any other. I personally would like to see a scheme in place that would allow for those active in rural communities build upon their own land. What is required is a measure to prevent the farming off of sites in inappropriate areas. Some claw back scheme that would tie a development to specific occupation by a named developer over a timeframe of say ten years.

What An Taisce needs are more members from rural areas. The organisation has county associations in most counties. But a higher membership would be welcome particularly in the West

Latest News