Reply To: Look at de state of Cork, like!

Home Forums Ireland Look at de state of Cork, like! Reply To: Look at de state of Cork, like!

mickeydocs
Participant

Tax breaks coupled with better transatlantic access are the catalysts needed to make the docklands project work.

Seems to me that Michéal Martin has been appointed as the Minister for Enterprise at a very good moment in time for Cork 🙂

Originally posted by lexington

I agree the Jervis Centre is a pleasant place to shop and Project Management did a lovely job on it – with a considerate approach to its surroundings. I only pray for such consideration in the other O’Callaghan Properties retail development for Academy Street (right off Patrick’s Street) in Cork. The 6-storey over basement development will consume the entire block – the former Examiner HQ, Johnson & Perrott, Grand Circle Lounge, Taboo, TJS, Ryans and so on – and cost 150m euro (est’d). I should only hope a Jervis Centre standard is enacted. I’ll have first drafts in early Jan 2005 hopefully.

Merchants Quay was originally developed by O’Callaghan Properties, Heron Property (UK) and Treasury Holdings. It was sold a few years ago to a First Active Trust. Therefore, MQ is not O’Callaghan’s concern, Mahon Point SC (60,000sq m gross + retail park) is. And in a few years, The Academy Plaza will be his concern when CGNU or such funds buy into O’Callaghan’s stake in conjunction with Deka. The reason I list tenants, regardless of status (and I only did it once) is because it reflects the investment trends in Cork – and also displays the confidence various businesses install in the region. Even if an established retailler like Pull & Bear wish to open another store at MP, it shows the confidence they reflect in their business here.

I agree trends come and go, architecture lasts – and that is why I have never been a fan of MP’s design (despite beliefs otherwise) and would be a fan of say, Cornmarket Street Development – it is a considerate design with respect to the city centre and existing historical structures.

In addition, Ballincollig Town Centre, reflects another large scale retail SC (40,000sq m gross) and will house 3 large anchor stores in addition to 35 further retail units of varying sizes. A good tenant list has been composed.

As for Docklands Tax Designation – this issue is something I am actively involved in and it is a work in progress. I just hope our efforts succeed.

Latest News