Reply To: Look at de state of Cork, like!

Home Forums Ireland Look at de state of Cork, like! Reply To: Look at de state of Cork, like!

lexington
Participant

*UPDATES*

-> Argos & Lifestyle Sports will join anchor tenant Atlantic Homecare at the new 100m euro Blackpool Retail Park being developed by the Shipton Group. The new Argos Extra store will measure 10,000sq ft – twice the size of their existing Grand Parade/Daunt Sq store in the city centre. Lifestyle will occupy a store of 6,000sq ft.

In an unrelated announcement, Toni&Guy Hairdressers are to open a further store at Buckley’s Corner (former Carpet Store) on Washington Street.

-> The Capitol Cineplex on Grand Parade is being given a minor facelift, after coming under sharp criticism from CCC for its dire aesthetics. Ward Anderson had been reluctant to revamp the cineplex in light of future developments for the site. Ward Anderson plan to relocate their business to a new 11-screen multiplex at Mahon Point in Feburary 2005. One rumoured development for the site is a 6-storey over basement retail development with ground floor area of just under 40,000 sq ft – no further info has been received by me on this proposal so I can’t verify anything further.

-> Beamish & Crawford’s HQ on South Main Street is due for a revamp after an application was lodged with CCC for new railing, roof, facade adjustments and paint improvements.

-> Sherland Entertainments Ltd based in Dublin has been successful in their application for the redevelopment of the former Mercier Book Store on Academy Street as an Cafe Bar Deli brand coffeeshop & deli.

-> 21 objections have been raised against Riga Limited (O’Callaghan Properties/Jurys Doyle Group) development plans for Jury’s Hotel site on the Western Road. Of course the usual suspects were involved, An Taisce. After reading some of the grounds for objections, I have to say, some are laughable, but either way, Riga is going to have a tough ride through the planning process. I hope the proposal is successful, although my unease remains with relation to the residential element of the project.

-> For those of you anxious to know what it is O’Flynn Construction have planned for Eglinton Street, yet again, O’Flynn have said their announcement is imminent. And when it is made, if successful, it will be one of the largest construction projects in Cork next year. I have to say however, I would prefer a larger retail element – but last minute revisions may yet surprise me.

Finally, to theblimp, if you have a public e-mail a/c you could post online, I will contact you thereafter as soon as I am available. Failing that, try setting up a web-based ‘rubbish’ a/c you don’t mind displaying online. I will have to ask you a few questions beforehand through e-mail as I’m sure you can understand (privacy reasons etc).

P.S. Remember, Werdna Ltd’s plans for Water Street are expecting a decision this coming Wednesday (29th September 2004). The original decision date was scheduled for July, but CCC pushed the date back to September for further deliberation reasons. This is one of the most important planning decisions ever before Cork, let’s all just hope that the decision made will green-light the project. The countdown begins today. Here’s just a little reminder of what we should be hoping for ->

Fingers crossed!

Latest News