Reply To: Look at de state of Cork, like!

Home Forums Ireland Look at de state of Cork, like! Reply To: Look at de state of Cork, like!

lexington
Participant

In addition, An Taisce has the primary purpose with relatin to planning, to raise awareness of the potential loss of what THEY deem architecturally significant buildings of a historic nature. Here’s my problem: John Mannix, whose Mannix and Culhane shop on 40-42 Washington Street, has proposed the development of a much needed over basement, office, parking, retail and apartment development measuring 6-storeys (similar to th height of the rest of Washington Street). Anyone who knows the shop knows that it is only a ground floor premises (completely out of sync with the rest of the street), [REMOVED IN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF INAPPROPRIATE INFORMATION – MY MOST SINCERE APOLOGISES]. However An Taisce have objected, why? Because, the development would adversely affect the present structure (which does NOT exist, it collapsed and is now a horrid ground floor make-shift structure), because it is unsuited to the district (the building by Conveney & Assoc. has been designed in keeping with the red-brick style buildings of Washington Street) and because in is of inappropriate height overshadowing other significant buildings in the area (the building is of a similar height to its previous form and of surrounding structures). Tell me, is this fair? Free speech yes, but hindering progress. Cork has been riddled with more development stallments due to An Taisce, than almost any other Irish city. (that is a quote from Cork Business April 2004)

Latest News