Reply To: Trinity to strike back at return of the Jedi

Home Forums Ireland Trinity to strike back at return of the Jedi Reply To: Trinity to strike back at return of the Jedi

Paul Clerkin
Keymaster

March 13, 2002
One of the new Coruscant sets we’ll see in EPISODE II is the Jedi Archive where Jocasta Nu spends a lot of her time.

I have teamed up with artist Guy Lagacé of Binary Sunset to bring you a great rendering of what the Jedi Archive will look like based on reports from sources TFN_SUCKS and HANNIBAL.

While researching, Guy uncovered a little fact I thought might be interesting. It might give you a little insight as to where the inspiration for the Jedi Archive design came from, if true.

As it turns out, the Jedi Archive/Library is an almost exact replica of one of the finest libraries in the world – The Old Library of Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. Here’s a description:

The interior of this building is celebrated and deservedly so. It is a long room with a succession of bays on either side, which provide shelf room for thousands of books. The entrance to each recess is flanked with beautiful red-brown old oak carvings, beneath which stand white busts representing great names in science and literature. The perspective is very fine, the arched roof of pinewood, the endless bays, the sculpture, all filing away into the remote distance. The proportions have been so well handled that, despite its great length, 240 feet, the library does not look narrow, no matter where the point of view is taken. It is splendidly lit from both sides, for each bay to right and left terminates in a large window, and the daylight streams in through no less than a hundred

In glass cases down the centre are contained the artistic and literary treasures of the college, so numerous and interesting as to form a fine museum. Illuminated manuscripts, early printed books, first editions, historical letters, gilt bindings, old woodcuts and engravings, biblical texts, Shakespeare, Caxton, Elzevir, Pindar, are all represented here. The most famous item in the collection is the Book of Kells, the product of an eighth century Irish monastery (detail, right). It is a manuscript of the Gospels in Latin, illuminated in a most varied and intricate style. The colouring is delicate and harmonious. Each page of this work must have taken months to execute. The marvel of the achievement is that such skill and taste were shown in Ireland at a time when all Europe, including England, was sunk in the barbarism of the Dark Ages. Such books were highly valued, and sometimes formed part of a king’s ransom during the tribal wars of the period.

That’s some pretty cool stuff and thanks to Guy for digging it up. I have to admit, the two look very much alike and it will be interesting to see if it’s just a coincidence or if there was some real inspiration there.

Enjoy the pic by Guy Lagacé. Trust me, the Archive in EPISODE II looks A LOT like this but with different statues and a few other minor changes.

http://www.cinescape.com/24/editorial.asp?aff_id=24&this_cat=Prequel+News&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=235959&obj_id=33433

Latest News