Reply To: St Mary’s Church
According to Dr Edward McParland, St Mary’s was among the churches needed for new parishes in an expanding city:
“Begun in 1700, with its tall short nave, steep roof and bulky tower it has a medieval silhouette. But its plan comes from Wren (at St Clement Danes), and its east facade has the best baroque window frame in the country.”
Willam Robinson (architect of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham provided the design for the window frame (see the east front of the Chapel). Robinson ‘probably’ designed the greater part of what McParland calls “this transitional and gauche composition”.