Reply To: Stephenson – poacher turned gamekeeper?

Home Forums Ireland Stephenson – poacher turned gamekeeper? Reply To: Stephenson – poacher turned gamekeeper?

Anonymous
Inactive

I remember reading an article in the Irish Times by Frank McDonald last year about the possibility of replacing the ESB facade with a Georgian reproduction. As far as I remember it was only going to be a possibility if the ESB moved out of the building. I would think that it would be a mistake to do this now as the ESB building is an interesting example of urban infill of its time. I am not trying to defend the destruction of the original buildings but I think that the damage is done and to replace the present facade would be almost like putting a giant photograph of the originals in its place. Who knows if this had not happened maybe gradually Georgian Dublin would have disappeared completely over a longer period of time. As it is it was the destruction of some of these areas that might have saved the rest of it.

I had heard that the ESB were thinking of moving to Sandyford. Anyone know anything else about it?

Latest News