1968 – Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan

Architect: Philip Shaffrey & Co.


Built to replace the old stone church of St. Brigid, which as built in 1843 by Rev. P. Donegan, PP. The new church, capacity 700, was designed by Philip Shaffrey & Co., Dublin: the contractor was Mr P. J. McLoughlin, Longford. The stained-glass windows add artistic interest to the minimal design. The architecture of the church marks the adoption of Modernism by the Roman Catholic church following Vatican II (1962-65). The offset four storey campanile is connected to the main church by a glased cloister. A major refurbishment of the sanctuary was completed in May 2001.

Published July 6, 2024