1959 – 599 Empress Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Libling Michener and Associates

mbbluecross2

mbbluecross

Originally constructed as the administrative office for the Manitoba Medical Service. Constructed as a one-storey building, a second floor was added in 1970 by Les Stechesen for Libling Michener Architects. In 2004, the building was purchased by Manitoba Blue Cross and renovated the following year, completed in a sensitive manner by Stantec Architecture and Interior Design. According to Mel Michener, the design was an attempt to “set a new standard for institutional buildings in Winnipeg”. A relatively simple form with brise soleil obscuring the continuous glass façade.

Published July 9, 2024