1926 – St. John’s Anglican Cathedral, Winnipeg

Architect: Parfitt & Prain


Under the guidance and inspiration of the late Archbishop Samuel P. Matheson the present building (the fourth church) was reconstructed in 1926 using much of the stone from the previous building. Designed by Gilbert Parfitt and Edgar Prain, it incorporates elements of early medieval English architecture, with a Norman tower and barrel-vaulted ceiling. Parfitt was the Probincial architect from 1924, replacing Victor Horwood, and held the position until retirement in 1957. Two of the stonemasons, both in their eighties, who worked on the Cathedral had also worked on the 1862 building. In 1959, a two-storey addition was built onto the northeast corner and now houses the Dean’s Vestry and Office, the Sacristy, the Church Office and the Choir Room.