1814 – St. Mark’s Church of Ireland, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Francis Johnston / William Farrell / Slater & Carpenter



St Mark’s Church was built in 1811 as a chapel of ease to St Patrick’s Cathedral, which was the Parish Church for Armagh. Consecrated by Archbishop Stuart in 1814, St Mark’s owes it origins to Archbishop Robinson, who expressed in his will for a church to be built on a site between the Royal School and the military barracks. The church was thus frequently known as the Garrison Church. His successor Archbishop Stuart supported this in order to ease the pressure on the Cathedral, which was at this time in need of repair. The original tower and nave was designed by Francis Johnston. Significant rebuilding in 1832 by William Farrell included aisles, and in 1866 by Slater & Carpenter who added the polygonal chancel and side chapels. The pulpit installed in 1896 is believed to be the highest in the Church of Ireland.