1972 – Terminal 1, Dublin Airport
During the 1960s, new departure gate piers were added adjacent to the original Dublin airport terminal of 1939 to cope with larger aircraft. However it soon it became apparent that the original terminal building could no longer cope with passenger demand and plane size. Work began in 1971 on a new terminal building designed to cater for an expected six million passengers per year. The new £10 million terminal opened in June 1972.
The growth which was anticipated during the 1970s did not materialise immediately. The original design included two identical decagon-shaped boarding piers, but only one was built. A car park was originally located on the upper two floors of the building and the access ramps are still in place but was closed for security reasons after a bomb attack in 1975, and converted into offices.
In 2020, plans were announced to upgrade the exterior envelope of the building.