1941 – Corpus Christi, Drumcondra, Dublin
With a dome of 52 feet in diameter at the intersection of the nave and sanctuary with the transepts, it was described in the Irish Times as “a stately pile dominating the North city”. Designed in the shape of a Latin cross by the architects Robinson and Keefe. Construction started in 1938 with a final cost of £83,000.
The length of the church is 152 feet, the nave being 50 feet wide, which is extended to 100 feet measured across the transepts. The nave is covered with a barrel vault, the height of which from the floor is 56 feet. The dome, the apex of which is 85 feet from the floor, is supported by 4 semi-circular arches, between which are representations of the four evangelists with attendant angels carved out in plaster.
The high altar, side altars, communion rail, pulpit, and baptismal font, together with the beautifully blended decorative marble of the chancel and side chapels, where the work of Earley and Co. Camden St., Dublin. All the brasswork in the church was the work of the brass foundry section of Messrs. Gills of O’Connell St.
Externally, the church is Romanesque, finished in granite, with the entrance from Home Farm Rd consisting of paired doors deeply recessed.
The old church (illustrated alongside) was dismantled and removed to Larkhill, another part of the parish at that time.