1934 – The King’s Hall, Balmoral, Belfast
The King’s Hall was designed by Leitch and Partners, Glasgow, built in 1933 by J & R Thompson, Belfast and opened by the Duke of Gloucester on 29 May 1934. Owned by the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society (RUAS), previously the North East Agricultural Association of Ireland, who moved to the site in 1896 from their previous showgrounds in Belfast Corporation Markets area. The RUAS subsequently moved out in 2012 after developing a new venue, Balmoral Park, a 65-acre events park located in Lisburn.
The King’s Hall was the largest exhibition venue in Northern Ireland. The stepped facade of the hall features substantial windows and Art Deco motifs on doors and buttresses. Inside, the functional space is spanned by reinforced concrete arches. Well known for hosting boxing bouts as well as large exhibitions and conferences. Now being redeveloped.