1831 – Infantry Barracks, Castlebar, Co. Mayo


Also known as Mitchell Barracks, it was built as a direct result of the 1798 Rebellion. The land for the barracks was obtained from Lord Lucan and the official lease is dated 1827. It was first occupied in 1831 with the blocks completed by 1838. Among the British Army units which served there were the 10th Regiment of Foot, The Connaught Rangers and 17th Lancers of the Battle of Balaclava “Charge of the Light Brigade” fame.

“The barracks, a fine range of building recently erected, and commodiously adapted for artillery and infantry, are arranged for 60 men of the former, and for 24 officers and 565 non-commissioned officers and privates of the latter.” A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis

In 1922 the barracks was largely destroyed by fire. Blocks E/F and J/K/L and the hospital were completely destroyed before the site was secured by the forces of the Irish Free State in summer 1922. Officially closed on March 17, 2012