1805 – Grand Hotel, Shannon Harbour, Co. Offaly
Completed in 1806, the Grand Hotel was one of a series of hotels for travellers on the Grand Canal. The purpose-built village of Shannon Harbour was designed, constructed and operated as a trans-shipping centre of the Grand Canal an the River Shannon. The village once contained a Customs Barracks with holding cells, the Harbour Masters house, several pubs and the Grand Hotel. There were five hotels constructed originally by the canal company – Shannon Harbour, Tullamore, Robertstown, Portobello, and James’ Street Harbour. All similar architecturally. The Shannon Harbour hotel is now ruined, Tullamore, and James’ Street are both gone.