1840s – Former Linden Convalescent Home, Blackrock, Co. Dublin
The original Linden Castle is to the right in our postcard illustration. The Mullin’s Wing on the right was added between 1871 and 1875 during the buildings time as a home. The original part of the house has a tower reached by granite steps and flanked by two half hexagonal returns, the right return leading into a symmetrical six-bay garden-front, all topped by a balustraded parapet.
Between 1915 and 1917, it was used as an Auxiliary Military hospital. By the 1960’s, orphanage girls from St Joseph’s were sent here as domestic servants and it was here that Eamon De Valera died in 1975. Sold in 1993, and now apartments.