1864 – Design for Wesleyan Chapel & Residence, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
The church as illustrated was largely completed with the exception of the residence. The small tower was completed but later removed.
“On Thursday, the 25th of February, one of the most enlivening and interesting scenes with which the town of Athlone was favoured, took place in connection with laying the foundation stone of the above church. The band of the Royal Artillery was in attendance, enlivening the scene, and at least 1,200 persons assembled to witness the ceremony. The stone was laid by J. C. Evans, Esq., who arrived by the 11 j train from Dublin, and was presented with a handsome silver trowel on the occasion, engraved with suitable crest and inscription. The building, which is designed by Alfred G. Jones, Esq., architect, of Dublin, is being erected by Mr. George Glanville, of Ballinasloe. It is of Early English character, about 55 feet in length by 22 feet, terminating in an octagon form, which admits of the pews radiating round the platform enclosure at end. The church contains pew sittings for about 250, with a gallery at one end. The roof is of open timber construction, and the octagon portion is surmounted by an ornamental spire, forming a conspicuous feature, and seen from the main entrance to the town along the banks of the Shannon river.
The design, which is novel and attractive, promises to be an ornament to the town, and the entrance front, which is in Northgate-street, is of an imposing character.
There is also a basement story under the church, intended for schools, and a suitable residence is designed and intended to be erected adjoining the building. The cost will be about £1 ,700 to £1,800.” The Irish Builder, March 15 1864.