Andrew Devane (1917-2000)
1964 – Chapel, St. Patrick’s College, Drumcondra, Dublin
Architect: Andrew Devane
Beautiful interior space to this mid 1960s church designed by Andrew Devane. The uninterrupted clerestory windows are worth noting as the chapel roof is supported by the interior columns. The side chapels ‘float’ above the ground external of the main body of the church as a row of undulating brick curved walls. The materials reflect Devane’s palette at this stage of his career – brick, exposed concrete and copper roofs. The exterior also has a fine campanile.
Photographs Copyright Brendan Rankin