1870 – Boland’s Bakery, 133-136 Capel Street, Dublin
Designed as a bakery for Patrick Boland and incorporating an earlier Presbyterian church in Mary’s Abbey (a laneway to the rear). During construction, the remains of the chapter house of St. Mary’s Abbey were rediscovered.
Although the building is largely intact, the ground floor facades to Capel Street have been replaced, and the upper storeys have lost some of the stuccowork. The upper floor windows have fine carving and sill ironwork.
The remains of the presbyterian meetinghouse has large brick piers and arches. It is entered through a iron and wood covered passageway from Capel Street or a large brick archway from the lane. The brickwork is similar in style and quality to that of the nearby Fruit Market.