1883 – Grattan & Co., Great Victoria St., Belfast
A new premises for “Grattan’s Aerated Water Manufactory”. Published in The Irish Builder, October 1, 1883. “The buildings illustrated have a frontage to Great Victoria-street of 60 ft., and extend along Ventry-street over twice that distance, exclusive of the stables and van-shed still further to the rere. The main gateway gives access to the offices and despatch-room, which are placed in the front.
The manufactory proper occupies the centre of the building, with galleries above, lit from the roof. Store-rooms are placed above the offices, communication being provided by a patent hoist. The walling is all of perforated brick, the dressings of the windows, &c., being of Portland cement. The offices are handsomely fitted up with pitch pine, the ceilings and walls having sheeting in simple patterns, stained and varnished. The machinery and apparatus are of the newest and best design. There is no lead tubing used, the different apparatus being lined with silver; the fittings also are of that metal. A Cromac well gives an unfailing supply of water. The builders are Messrs. H. and J. Martin; and the architects, Messrs. Young and Mackenzie, Belfast.”