1868 – Havergal Hall, Limerick
Occupying the corner of Glenworth Street and Baker Place, and originally known as the Philisophical Buildings, and later named after Frances Ridley Havergal a composer of hymns. Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879) was a daughter of Canon William Henry Havergal (1793-1870). Both William and Frances were well-known Victorian hymn-writers and composers, and several of their hymns are included in the Irish Church Hymnal.
At a public meeting held in 1840 it was resolved to form a Society to be called ‘The Limerick Philosophical and Literary Society’. As well as lectures and discussions it was to have a public library and museum. Later in use as an orphange school, and later converted into the Lyric Cinema. Finally demolished in 1981.