1850s – Athlumney House, Navan, Co. Meath
This large two-storey house dates from the 18th century and was home to the Metge family, who were prominent in Navan’s commercial life in the last century. The Metges were a Huguenot family who fled France to escape religious persecution after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685. They eventually settled in Navan in the early 18th century. They invested in local projects like the Boyne Canal and the first lock on the canal was called Metges Lock.
Described in Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, “Athlumney, the seat of P. Ponsonby Metge, Esq., is beautifully situated on the banks of the Boyne, commanding some pleasing views, and the demesne is well planted and tastefully embellished.”
Now part of a larger office complex, and contains the Garda HR Directorate. Architects Collins Maher Martin restored and converted the building from a private dwelling to a commercial office space. All chimneys were restored and new sash windows fitted throughout. Internally all protected features throughout the building, including window shutters, cornices, frieze, ceiling and timber flooring were restored to their original condition.