1790 – Bishops Court House, Naas, Co. Kildare
An early work of Richard Morrison in a classical style reminiscent of the work of James Gandon. Country house of the Earl of Clonmell.
From; J.P. Neale, Views of the seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, vol.V, London, 1829
“This seat lies about twelve miles to the south -west of the City of Dublin, in the County of Kildare, and the Grand Canal runs through part of the estate. It is a magnificent pile of building, with suitable out houses and offices, encircled by a well- clothed demesne, consisting of gardens and pleasure- grounds of every description , with fine orna mental timber, exclusive of young plantations. There is a valuable limestone quarry on the estate , and lead has been recently discovered . The whole demesne, including the manor, town , and lands of Oughterard , contains 1,955 acres, present statute measure . A great portion of the lands of Oughterard was let in 1679, on a lease for nine lives, of which his present Majesty is the survivor, on whose demise the value of the property will be considerably enhanced. Pursuant to a recent decree of the High Court of Chancery in Ireland , the town and lands of Bishop’s Court, and its appurtenances, belonging to the late Lord Ponsonby, are to be sold by public auction, for purposes mentioned in the said decree. Bishop’s Court has been for several years the property of a younger branch of the family of Ponsonby, descended from an ancient house of that name in Cumberland .”